Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Children of the Corn: Genesis

    I have had a few and am writing as I'm watching so sorry is I say things that may not make sence, but if you watch it soon before or after reading this then I'm sure it will be fine.  Tonight I will be doing Children of the Corn: Genesis.  I am a very big Children of the Corn fan from the short story by Stephen King, first published in the March 1977 issue of Penthouse to the big screen.  I will say that Children of the Corn III: Urban Harvest really didn't fit in and Children of the Corn IV: The Gathering & Children of the Corn: Revelation, I'm not the biggest fan of compared to the first Children of the Corn and Children of the Corn II: The Final     Sacrifice.  Anyway this is about Children of the Corn: Genesis, released in 2011, directed by Joel Soisson, and stars Billy Drago and Duane Whitaker. 
    Here we go.  Starting off 20 miles from Gatlin, Nabraska in 1973... A young man comes home from war fing kids playing with corn... No sigh of his mom or dad, or his girlfriend.  Finds his family one by one killed by corn.  Guy having believable flash backs entill falling threw a window and taken to the fields.  That's a pretty good opening.  credits creepy.  two people sitting in the middle of the road, explaining how they are stranded and they go for a walk.  I like kinda too cut to the chase, but I like.  Billy Drago as the Preacher is a good casting call.  He is very good for this role.  Oh yeah Helen take it off slow.  I want a chicken hangin out while I eat.  I know this is stupid, but I am not a fan of Tim Rock's face.  The coming inside joke got a slight chuckle.  30 minutes into this and it's more like a "We god fearing country folk are gonna rape and eat you" kin of movie.  The dream sequence was nice, but 50 min into it and it barley has anything to do with Children of the Corn.  It get's into the real meat of it as soon as Preacher says the man that I love to here, "He who walks behind the rows".  As a whole, they could have token out all the Children of the corn themes, and it could have been a perfectly fine "country folk keep the kid with powers in the shed" kind of movie.  I do love the kid playing with the cars scene.  And the ending did help with another installment of the series.  I give it a 5 out 10.  As A Children of the Corn film, I give it a 2 out of 10.  And will say at least Urban Harvest had something more to do with the basics then this did. 

No comments:

Post a Comment